LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Thursday, January 7, 2010

101. January 7

Day 101.

Well. For a little while now I've been wanting to do a "Reasons Life is Beautiful" list, with the number of items coinciding with the number of the day. Then I sort of forgot all about that and now that I'm at day 101, I guess I'd better go ahead and do it, before I'm stuck with 266 reasons. Besides, I've been way too cranky lately and need to do something to shake this mood.

Sorry if you're not a fan of this sort of stuff, friend. Skim on.

101 Reasons Why Life is Beautiful
or Things Val Finds Beautiful
or Life is Good So Shut Up and Stop Complaining
or 101 Reasons to Just Be Happy

* Paper cranes * Snow in the sunshine * Family * The scent of new books * Pea coats * Laughter * Toast with creamy white honey * Weddings * Meet Joe Black * Quotes * Scriptures * Little Women, Louisa May Alcott * Scarves * Romance * Red rocks * Desert  * Temples * Asheville, North Carolina * Trees * Long stretches of open road * Poetry * The human body * Smiles * Hugs * The car wash * The allure of late night * Chocolate * Home * Mascara * Shaved legs *

* Sunrises * Sunsets * Sunshine in general * Grocery shopping * Used book stores * Libraries * Elephant earrings * Romantic comedies * Bundt cakes * Sensual Amber perfume * Fountains with coins at the bottom, each representing a wish once made * Tiger lilies * Roses * Dreams * Wishes * Warmth * Optimism * Surprises * Covers of songs that are better than the original * Audrey Hepburn * Cary Grant * Kissing * Mom-and-pop burger joints * Consignment shops * PostSecret *

 * Friends * My list of Life Goals and Ambitions * Journals * Collarbones * Letters in the mail * Postcards * Packages * Gifts * Making others happy * Compliments * My dad's singing * My mother's piano music * Spontaneity * Sunday dinners * Kyle playing the guitar and singing me Dashboard Confessional * Fishing with Dad * Late night talks with my sister * Empty notebooks * Cursive * The quilt my mother made me that now decorates my bed * Big skies * Cobblestone streets * Christmas * "Iris," Goo Goo Dolls *
"Come Away With Me," Norah Jones *

* Pastry shops * Prague * Old cathedrals * Utah * Elderly couples holding hands * Cuddling * Breakfast nooks * Wrap-around porches * Tree houses * Tire swings * Piles of dried leaves * The beginning of each new season * Lists * Small towns * Stars * Really good pens * Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner album * Change * Peanut Butter M and Ms * The ocean *

The English major within me is looking at that list and saying, "What kind of organization is that? How can you even tell there is 101?" The rebel within me is saying, "HA! Take that English major! 101! Count 'em, I dare you!" My inner perfectionist sides with the English major. The nonconformist and the stubborn child within back up the rebel and chaos wins.

I love the corner of my apartment decorated with paper cranes, hanging from the ceiling.
Beautiful isn't it?




"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
~ Apple Computer Inc.

2 comments:

  1. ummm. New books on acid-free paper. I can tell a Springer book with my eyes shut.

    Ok...I admit it though; shaved legs and sensual amber perfume are even better.

    Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Valerie, I love your list! It is beautiful, I'm thankful you took the time to write it. I wish that we saw each other more.

    ReplyDelete