LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Friday, January 1, 2010

95. January 1

2010. A new year. A new decade.

At the end of every year, I like to write in my journal events and people to remember of the past year, a review of the past year's goals, and the goals for the coming year. I was reading back on things to remember for 2008 and going through my journal of last winter. It seems so far away. It makes a little melancholy thinking about moments and faces that will never pass through my life again.

And where to even begin with the year 2009? In the last year I have lived in three different cities in two different states. I have attended two universities. I've had four different jobs (okay, telemarketing did only last a week). I have met countless scores of people, many of whom will likely never cross paths with me again. I've gone through half a dozen haircuts, read dozens of books, discovered all sorts of music, filled two or three journals, and have taken more pictures than I dare think about... It reminds me of the lyrics of "Seasons of Love" out of the musical, Rent.
525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
I don't know how to measure a year. I don't know even how to tally this one up. I don't even want to consider how far flung from this moment next year may find me. 

I'm moving again tomorrow. My brother and his wife are also moving, though a much, much bigger move than my little one. And my sister will be returning to her apartment. Everyone will be scattered. This idyllic break I've spent with my family these past few weeks will be the last of such for quite some time.
Life is chaotically exhausting. And tonight, that makes me just a little sad.

Thanks Sam and familia for the pizelles. It cheered my day immensely.



"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched.  Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential." 
~Ellen Goodman

And now I leave you to enjoy guitar music of my little brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment