LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

128. February 2

Happy Groundhog's Day!
I just love, love, love a holiday. Yes, even Groundhog's Day.

I feel like my life is taking all sorts of intriguing turns. And yet, these are things not captured in an image. I think this is why I am a writer and not a photographer, and also why this blog is a good stretch for me. So, instead of showing you what's going on in my life specifically, I'll show you what's going on in the life of my apartment.

Tonight, Amber got crafty and started making adorable headbands. I thought it was the coolest thing, particularly the flowers she made out of ribbon. There is something beautiful in the process of creation. I also liked the strange reddish glow the light fixture above our kitchen table gives to the whole scene.
Interested in a custom-made headband? I can hook you up!


My friend Taylor introduced me to Neil Gaiman's Newbery acceptance speech for The Graveyard Book today. I loved the entire speech and how well it captures what writing and reading mean to a writer.
Here's a small snippet of that piece:

"It was as if some people believed there was a divide between the books that you were permitted to enjoy and the books that were good for you, and I was expected to choose sides. We were all expected to choose sides. And I didn't believe it, and I still don't.
 
I was, and still am, on the side of books you love."
~ Neil Gaiman, "Newbery Medal Acceptance "

2 comments: