LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Monday, March 1, 2010

154. February 28

I love southern Utah.
This morning was amazing. I drove from my hometown back to my apartment in the midmorning light, just in awe of the desert beauty. There was a point on the drive, just over a hill, where the most incredible panorama was spread out before me. The desert hills, with their muted browns and greens, rolled softly into the red cliffs, against the background of blue tinted mountains covered in snow. The whole scene was swathed in low mist from yesterday's rain clouds. And the sky was throbbing with blue. I observed all this while listening to the incredibly moving Finding Neverland soundtrack.

I wish I could show you that panorama today. I wish also I could show the view from a drive with roommates later that night. We drove way, way out into the desert beneath a nearly full moon. We caught sight of the moon glistening on a wide stretch of water. So we pulled over, parked the car, turned to track 21 on the Finding Neverland soundtrack, just sat in silent awe of the desert and the stretch of water bathed in moonlight.

Did I mention I love southern Utah?

The views I have for you today, are not far from my apartment, maybe ten minutes or so. I met a horse. I found a old Chevrolet. I discovered a fort. I photographed a barn. It was, in short, wonderful.




 

Leonardo da Vinci's thoughts on flight accurately describe my feelings for southern Utah.

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
~ Leonardo da Vinci

I also love this quote my roommate had to share with me.

"I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment: