LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

261. June 15

As I've mentioned before, I adore Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. This particular copy has such a silly cover. Which of these girls is Meg, Jo, Beth, or Amy? And who are these other sullen children lurking around them? As I said, silly cover. But, I love this copy nonetheless. And I'll tell you why.

The first time I ever flew on a plane alone was when I moved two thousand miles away from my home. I had a layover in Dallas on the trip and I remember wandering the airport, feeling completely bewildered and a little anxious. I wandered into a book shop, and there, upon the shelf, was this copy of Little Women, my favorite book, for only $3.95. I bought it and read it the rest of my flight. It was like I'd found an anchor to home. I've loved this silly copy ever since.


I could, and often do, narrate my life by Alcott's words. For example, today when a patch of terrific news fell upon me, as foolish as it sounds, this passage of Little Women kept coming to mind:

"I... tried to thank God for being so good to us, but I could only cry, and say, "I'm glad! I'm glad!" Didn't that do as well as a regular prayer? For I felt a great many in my heart." 
~ Jo, in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women

1 comment: