LET'S START AT THE VERY BEGINNING: 365 Days Project Begins Here

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

84. December 21

What book has had the greatest influence on your life, scriptural text set aside?
More fun answers from this intriguing little question...
My favorite answer thus far is Kim's choice of Shadow Spinner. Kim explained that as an eighth grader she was reading at about a third grade level. She hated reading. She hated the easy reader books. It was boring. It was stupid. Then, at the end of the year, Kim was finally allowed to pick a book she actually wanted to read. The book of choice was Shadow Spinner. Kim loved it. And she hasn't stopped reading since.
Tif chose The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss; Tuesday's with Morrie, by Mitch Albom; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer; and The Mastery of Love, by Don Miguel Riuz.
Lee varied off the fiction path (way off) with Computational Differential Equations, by Claes Johnson et. al. And I'd agree with Lee--it's hard to separate the most influential works of literature from scripture.
The Book of Mormon and the Bible have changed my life more so than any other written work.
For more about The Book of Mormon, feel free to visit www.mormon.org, or just send me an email.

It's curious, so far, no two answers to this question of influential books has been the same...

Well, enough on that.
Today was a long day, but one of the most excellent variety. Following nine hours working retail, I drove around with my family to enjoy the beautiful Christmas lights. Driving around to see Christmas lights is one of my favorite holiday traditions.
I can't believe Christmas is almost here.

In just a few short days, this stocking, made years ago by my Aunt Lanette, will be stuffed full of Christmas delights.
I can't wait.



"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
 ~ Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Sadly, true. I may be very, very poor, but oh I have a beautiful collection of books to share!


And one more quote for you tonight,


"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all." 
~ Henry David Thoreau, A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers


1 comment:

  1. val, can we be hang out friends?
    i just like you way too much to only read about you online. hahaha.

    435-669-7380 call me beep me text me? :D

    ReplyDelete